Re: Engine swap in early Scirocco

What do you want to know?  Been here done this more times then I want
to admit.  This is what happens when you buy $100 rusty bodies and
stick in overpowered drivetrains.

As far as swapping, I have an '84 GTi (Scirocco) 1.8 with the close
ratio 5 speed.  I did swap the fifth gear from a different tranny, so
I'm only pulling 2,700 rpm at 70 mph.  25 mpg, yes.

The 84 and earlier have the same mounts.  If you use a Golf motor later
then 84, you will need to unbolt the mounts and use the ones from
your 1.6L.  They are a straight up easy swap from block to block.
The 8V Sciroccos all have the same mounts, 75-89.

I used the ignition from the 84.  You will need to mount the "brain"
somewhere, I put mine up next to the wiper motor on the drivers side.
 This is where it is mounted in the 84 GTi.  That was the only
re-wiring I had to do, use the ingition harness from the 84.  I
didn't have access to a knock-sensor ignition when I built the car,
and I am happy with what I have.

If you are looking for gobs of horsepower, write back, and we can
talk mods.  But I am guessing you have a 1.8 laying there and want to
do a quick performance gain.  If I had a 1.8 laying here, it would be
in my rusty street car.

If you are looking at building a hot ride, find a 75 or 76, and drop
a 1.8 in there.  These were the lightest years for the Scirocco, and
personally I like the look of the front fenders.  The side marker
lights are not the wrap around style like the 77-81.

Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chairman
DSP 79 VW Scirocco- 94,96,97 DSP Regional Champ
86 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
79 VW Scirocco rusty bucket daily driver
phillyscca@enter.net
Safety First, Fun Second, Winning a distant Third