[Interior] Parcel Tray Clips in '82

Inspired by someone's tale of a cheap trip to the dealer parts department
(in search of the parcel tray clips) I went to the local VW dealer, and
picked up said clips ($5.60 Each! A tad more that I expected, but wtf, the
credit card has been subjected to soooo much abuse recently, so I thought
I'd treat myself)

I installed the clips, pushed the pegs into the clips, and went around to
the hatch to attach the straps to the hatch. Everything was working fine
until I tried to open the hatch all of the way. I managed to get it about
2/3 open, then the tray came flying out of the car, nearly hitting me. (The
rubber straps stretched so much, then the clips gave way, propelling the
tray out at me.) Scratching my head, I was wondering if there isn't
something inherently wrong with this setup. I recall seeing/hearing
somewhere (this list?) that the earlier MKIIs had a different setup back
there. Is this the case? Shawn - how is your deck set up? (I know that
you've got an 82...)

My question to all of you with later 'roccos - where do the rubber band
straps attach to your hatch? Mine attach right above the taillights, but
the straps don't stretch enough (are they too old??) to allow me to open
the hatch fully.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Greg

(Off to check out the (hopefully) BBS Mesh wheels on Saturday...)