Re: Wheel size revisited

PaulK wrote...

>STOP, check the ET, the Corrodo wheels are 40 or 42 mm offeset as
>opposed to the Scirocco's 38mm.

2-4mm is not _that_ much:).

 Confirm this by looking at the rims
>ET.  This will move the wheel to the 'inside' of the car which is 1)
>worse for your handling,

Why is this worse for handling?  Not saying it is, not saying it is'nt -
just curious.

>2) will probably rub your strut assembly.

>With a 15" which is most likly 7" wide you would be best off with a
>35/36mm offset.

See, this is why I like backspacing.  Offset is a PITA.  Backspacing is
simple - 14x6" with 5" backspace.  Backspace is the distance from the inner
lip of the wheel to the mounting surface.  Simple.  Offset sucks - 35mm
offset on a 6 or 7" wheel means different things, whereas 5" backspacing is
5" backspacing - no matter how wide the wheel.  Then, with all this euro
crap ET phone home offset skirt hiking stuff, in millimeters, well, gee it
gets fun figuring out what you need - "if my wheel is 6" wide and I have
34mm offset, and I want a 7" wide wheel, what offset do I need?  Would I
like fries with that?"

Aargh.  Pain in the butt.  Backspacing.  Simple.  5" works on A1s.  Ahhhh.

I.Mannix