Re: Extreme-Bentley on CD ROM?

Greg Schilhab wrote:

> Just got back from getting a new strut bearing at the dealer. I was
> talking to the shop manager and he was telling me that VW has CD roms for
> all the tech info for each model including the Scirocco. Sounded
> intriguing. I pumped him for the following info:
>
> $5,000 for each CD
> Contains illustrated parts diagrams for entire car
> Contains step by step illustrated procedures for every type of repair
> All tech bulletins
> Requires a special proprietary VW program to run, which runs on top of
> windoze 95.
> Includes VW  confidential technical details on each model.
> Kept in a stong box in the guys office :(
>
> They used one the CDs when their computer was aligning my car-the program
> asked for the serial number of my car and spat out the ideal camber,
> caster and toe and displayed a bar graph thing for real-time adjustment.
> Hmmmmm... I'd love to get my mitts on one 'em. Has anyone heard of this
> secret CD library? Anyone good at a little ol' fashioned social
> engineering to maybe borrow one for a few hours?  ;)

I am presently doing some work with VWoA's parts department, and am not
aware of this library.  Maybe Tim at ND or someone who works at a
dealership can confirm this.  To the best of my knowledge though, I
don't think there is such a thing.  There is however AllData CD roms of
which I have the one for Scirocco that has gobs of repair/service
diagrams, info, all Technical Service Bulletins pertaining to the car
and such, but in only cost me $30, and I keep it in a drawer.  Maybe it
was the Commercial version of the AllData disks.

--
Jim Buck,
ES #99