Re: Wheel offset

>         I just got offered a smokin deal on a set of 17" rims and tires,they
> are OZ F1 plus for those of you interested and they are from an older style
> integra(i know, honda germs).  The bolt pattern is the same, and they are
> 17x7 which is good too, but the offset is 38.  Is that within the realm of
> possibility of working on my 87 16V?  I thought optimal offset was 35?  They
> are really nice wheels at a great price too so i hope they work.

    The offset varies depending on the rim width.  I believe for our
  Roccos the best offset for a 7.5" wide rim is around 35mm.  In fact,
  I am running 17x7.5 on my 79 with a 35mm offset and I probably couldnt
  go 2mm either way cuz of rubbing on my spring and a bit on the fender
  lip.  I also noticed that spring coil diameters arent all alike.  My
  friends 80 scirocco would not work with 35mm on a 7.5" rim, he would
  need something like 30 or 32mm.
    As for those rims, if you use the same backspacing for 7.5" as for 7"
  you get an offset for 7" wheels at about 42mm, but 38 would work better
  cuz it should keep you off the spring and still keep room enough not to
  rub on the fender lip.  I have been told that all Sciroccos use the same
  offsets but it appears to me that it is harder to fit a wider wheel on
  the MK2's.  Perhaps it is just my imagination.  Anyhow, another thing to
  keep in mind is the hub size.  I think some Hondas are 56.1mm whereas
  your rocco is 57.1mm.  Some Hondas are 64.1mm, which would allow you to
  get rings to make it fit yer VW.  Double check on the hub size.  BTW,
  I thought the F1 only came in 17x8"?

 Andre'