Re: Schizophrenic Tachometer

At 18:26 12/14/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Hey there...
>	The weirdest thing about my tach bouncing around is that it would start to
>do it like 10 minutes before the car would start acting up... I'd be
>sitting in traffic, and all of a sudden, I'd see it bounce up in the corner
>of my eye, and I thought I was seeing things, because by the time I looked
>down, it was back to idle..  It didn't take long to figure out that it was
>the precursor of needing to pull over for a few minutes.
>	The only thing that should be able to have an effect on the tach is
>something electrical, but then again, we do drive Volkswagens, and they are
>alive after all... and each has their own way of telling us when they don't
>feel good.  :o
>
>		Talk to y'all later
>

>At 02:20 AM 12/12/97 EST, you wrote:
>>How's this for figerin';  If the pump was surging and causing a variable load
>>on the available power- would that effect the Late model Tachs?
>>
>>I understand there is an electrical interrelationship with the moter
>managment
>>( He said confidently, as a question ).
>>
>>TBerk
>>the born all over Scirocco driver

There is probably a connector or three under the hood that are getting
intermittent when the engine heats up. I would start looking around the
distributor. Could be the iginition (Hall) sensor in there. Easy thing to
try - clean all the connectors and grease 'em up before you put them back
together to keep moisture out and reduce corrosion.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)
'58 Ghia Convert