Re: H Stock Jetta III autoX mods

Crane, Damien wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have a friend who is planning to attack the autocross circuit next
> summer with his 94 Jetta.  Right now it is completely stock.  He is
> planning to spend about $1000 on it (but I'm sure that will grow a bit
> -- but not too much)
>
> What should we do and in what order to make the car as competitive as
> possible (remaining in H Stock is a requirement)
>
> Thanks, Damien
>
> PS I am loving this list.

If I were in your friend's shoes, they would stink.  Anyway, I would
look into competing in "Street Touring Class" or ST1.  This newly
approved SCCA class allows most "street" mods, and I think will really
be fun to be in next summer.  Plus, you get the bonus of enjoying those
mods year round.  Let's face it:  Jettas are not competitive H stockers.
Hey, that's just the luck of classing.  But in ST1, you can do all the
fun stuff to your car, and if you're still not competitive...so what!
You'll still have a cool, modded street car.  Here's a list of some of
the allowable modifications:

-All stock class modifications (H-Stock, in his case)
-Any shocks OR springs (aka lowered)
-Any interior mods (short shift, shift knob, pedal covers, seats)
-Front upper stressbar (ala Neuspeed, ABD)
-Any swaybars (front OR back)
-Any diameter rim, up to 7" wide
-Any exhaust behind the cat
-Any diameter steering wheel, so on and so on.

You get my drift?

That's the way I would go if I had $1,000, and wanted to run my Jetta.
Let me know what you think.
--
Jim Buck,
ES #99 1987 Scirocco 16 valve