Re: Fuel Transfer Pump

On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 12:15 AM, Smokinn
<mailto:smokinn@crestview.sbceo.k12.ca.us> wrote:
>Has anyone experienced problems with their fuel transfer pump?  If so,
what
>were the symptoms and problems you were having?
>
>Gerry
>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/7808/smokinn.html
>87 Scirocco  16v
>92 Jetta GL  8v

The transfer pump on my '87 Golf went bad recently in what I guess is an
atypical fashion. It very suddenly (as in, I had been driving it off and on
for a few hours prior) started to pulse rapidly, like the fuel was being
completely shut off and then on again several times a second, in first and
second gears. Once I got it to third it would be okay or at least much less
severe. This would only happen with less than a half tank of gas, a full
tank would make the problems go away.

Replacement isn't that big a deal, but you have to take the back seat out
and remove the pump inside the car. If you are going to mess with it, run
most of the fuel out so you don't make a mess in your car.

Apparently, a common reason for transfer pump failure is running the fuel
very low so that crud that has settled in the bottom of the tank gets
sucked up into the pump. For this reason, it's probably a good idea to
replace the fuel filter at the same time.

Hope this makes sense, and good luck,

scott