Re: Removal/Installation of Oxygen-Sensor....

At 18:18 12/10/97 -0800, you wrote:

> Any tips on removing an old or supposedly non-working Oxygen-sensor
>and installing a new one ????
> I was told that there was a special socket available for doing this...
> Does anyone know anything about that...
>thanks...
>
> '82 VW Scirocco, 1.7L ......

I used a box end wrench (7/8"?) and a bit of sweat. I needed to give the
wrench a few taps with a rod and a hammer, as I could not pound directly on
the wrench down there under the manifold, but the sensor broke loose pretty
easily. Once it was loose, I was able to unscrew it by hand. Thanks to the
anti-sieze!

The new one went in easy, and was coated with anti-sieze by Bosch, so all I
did was tighten it snug.

I have heard of special sockets - it would be a deep socket long enough to
clear the top of the sensor, with a hole in the side near the top to let the
sensor lead through. Shouls be easy enough to make one from a standard socket...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)
'58 Ghia Convert