Need Help Fast! Lose gas/acceleration on highway

'84 Scirocco.

Generally this only happens driving on the beltway at high speeds; however,
this morning it did it on acceleartion from a stop light.

I'll be driving and my RPMs drop to zero and the acceleartor does nothing.
That's it the car just stops, and then after what appears to be a random
period of time from 1 second to no more than a minute, the engine kicks
back in.

I'm assuming this is a fuel problem, but what I don't know.
Fuel filter has been replaced recently, fuel injection cleaner has been run
through the system.

Perhaps related to this problem is the difficulty in starting the car,
sometimes it takes 5 or more tries to get the car to start.  Engine will turn
but car doesn't start, once again sounds like the engine is not getting fuel.
Although I haven't checked the fuel pump yet.

I'd like to get your input first, before I crawl under my car.

TIA
Michael