Re: Delorean debate

>I was totaly amazed what I could do in that car . . . The thing would dust
any
>Rocco on the road.

	Uh oh... now we're into trouble, Danny!
	The Delorean's sohc 2.8l V6 produced 130hp and 162lb-ft of torque... and
the car weighed precisely 2710lb.  With the standard 5-speed manual (so the
3-sp Auto was *lots* slower), the car managed to stumble to 125mph,
according to the factory.  This is, indeed, faster than the 16V Scirocco,
which redlines in 5th at 124mph..  But, as I quote from the June 1981 issue
of Road and Track:  "With 130hp and 162lb-ft of torque, the DeLorean is not
a tire-burner off the line, and while I would categorize it as a fairly
fast car, it's not an especially quick one.  Again, the factory claims a
0-60 mph time between 9-10 seconds."
	But what if the road twists?  "The handling characteristics are somewhat
disappointing...the DeLorean gives every indication of maintaining
understeer right up to the limit, beyone which I suspect it will spin"
(DAMN!)

	Okay, then we have the Scirocco 16v.  With 500lb less, it has only 7 less
hp 19 lb-ft of torque.  Add a quick ratio, rediculously-low gearing, and...
VOILA!  A 0-60 time of 8.0 seconds.  (Tests usually ranged from 7.9 to 8.1)
 Add a relatively sophistocated (for the time, mind ya) suspension, a
front-engine layout (versus the quirky rear-engine, which Porsche itself
has only perfected in the recent few years), and you have completely
predicatble handling.

	So... it gets to 60 mph TWO seconds quicker, has essentially the same top
speed, and handles better.
	Therefore, we must conclude that my stock 16v would have to kick a
DeLorean's ass.... which, incidentally happened last week on I-376 west of
Pittsburgh.  From 50 to 105 or so, I never left 5th gear, and though the
DMC was making lots of (thrashy) noise, it couldn't pass me.  Oh well.

	But it's still a cool car. :)

			Jason (the Rocco Defender)

	(Now that I think about it, the DMC's acceleration is probably on par (or
a bit slower) than the 8v.... What do the 8v's do 0-60???)

			Jay