Re: Amp upgrade question

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:15:28 -0800 Benton Yoshida
<byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu> writes:
>Sciroccoans:
>
>	Will the 90 amp alternators (with short pulleys) from an '87
>16v
>Scirocco or '88 16v GTi fit into my stock 1.7L '81 with A/C?  I assume
>that
>pulleys can be swapped by any starter/alternator shop?  Mucho TIA,
>benton--------

An alternator from a 16V won't fit an 8V, especially an 81. It will fit a
later model if you change the mounts, but you can't use your 81 A/C with
the new mounts.
VW did use 90 amp alternators on 85 and up 8V's that will work, I did
that retro-fit on my last 82.  You just have to use your pulleys and
change the wiring plugs, but no big deal.   HTH.

Todd J.
shikaroka@juno.com
82 Scirocco 16V (highly modified)
87 GTI G60