Re: hesitation question

Sounds like a failing transfer pump. (I'm pretty sure the '85s had
those....??) I had the exact same symptoms in my 86 jetta. Bucking only in
lower gears...progressively got worse: Replaced plugs, seemed to get
better for a day. Heh. Replaced filter, got better for two days.

The bucking would come and go... if I eased into the gears very gently, it
wouldn't happen. Give that a shot. I got stranded once on a trip because
of this.... had to let things cool down. Once I'm at highway speeds, I'm
usually OK (but that also got worse). As the transfer pump heated up, it
began to fail, and progressively got worse until it failed right off of a
start.

I initially discovered the fuel pump buzzing like a madman, but as it
turned out, it was the transfer pump in the tank that was seizing up,
causing the fuel pump in the line to freak out.

DEFINATELY check it out before you do any long driving -- never know when
that sucker will fail. :-( WOuldn't want you in the same predicament I was
in.

~C

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Rick Lackner wrote:

|I'm having a bit of problem with the rocco running after it sits a
|bit after it's warmed up or if stopped in traffic.  It seems to buck
|after shifting and then accelerating.  It will usually only do
|this shifting to 2nd and 3rd, only noticed it once or twice
|shifting into 4th, never going to 5th. Once it's going a bit it stops
|doing that and runs fine.  It was worse before replacing the fuel
|filter.  I thought I read somewhere there's a screen near the fuel
|pump that could get clogged?  I've been running Chevron Supreme
|almost exclusively in it, but thinking of dumping a can of Techron in
|it anyway.  The idle and power seems no different than before, but ya
|never know if theres something a wee bit clogged. It will
|occaisionally stall at idle  but always fires back up right away.  If
|you have any ideas I'd appreciate it.
|
|It's an 85 8V.  Just put new plugs in, checked cap and rotor (ok),
|new fuel filter, air filter ok, all this done after the problem
|surfaced.  Looked at the vacuum lines and electrical connections,
|looks good.  It runs just as good as it did before the problem
|surfaced a couple weeks ago, except it has that annoying bucking when
|hot and sitting a bit.  I also noticed that when it bucks, if I take
|the rpms up past maybe 5K that it will "drop out".  If I just take it
|easy on it for a few minutes, then I can rev it to redline no
|problem.
|
|We're planning to take it on a holiday drive to MN and maybe PA
|before heading back home (WA) and while I've had no probs as long as
|it's running on the highway, I'd feel a bit more secure if I had this
|figured out and solved before we leave in 2 weeks.
|
|I'll be tinkering with it some more tomorrow, maybe someone has ideas
|on what to look at?  Thanks for any help you can offer.
|
|Rick
|rsl@kendra.com
|Richard.Lackner@entex.com
|85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
|Everett, WA

|--
|To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to scirocco-L-request@privateI.com,
|with your request (subscribe, unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-294-6658