Help! steering shaft vibration info

I'm experiencing the joy of my new 16V-very solid and fast but I want it
perfect. There is a problem with excessive vibration being transmitted
from the engine to my hands on the wheel.

Symptoms. At idle a lot of steering wheel vibration. Disappears at 1200
rpm. Jerking the wheel back and forth reveals a slight ticking- a bit of
play which may be unrelated. Also occasionally if I go over a speed bump
there's something which knocks and is also felt in the steering wheel.

Its not the motormounts-The front and right side were replaced and
they're all in great shape-the dash itself is rock solid. The ball
joints, tie rods and struts are all solid as well.

Is there some mechanism which uncouples the steering shaft from the
vibration of the engine? Looking at the exploded view in the Bentley, I
see something called the Damping Grommet which is mounted on the
universal joint shaft. Is this it?  Also the steering column bearing and
the shaft bushing if worn would need to be replaced, no? These are just
guesses, though, I need the experts here as the Bentley doesn't delve
into it to deeply.

Thank-you in advance

Greg