vivivibbbbrating steering column

>Ah. but what shape are the strut bearings in?? I bet they are in need of
replacement.
>Some of the symptoms you described are direct indicators of the strut bearing
gone bad,
>which, doesn't take long for them to degrade to a worthless hump of rubber

Thanks Shawn, you were right! I'm looking at my shock towers and I see on
the right side the round metal plate of the bearing protrudes about 3/4
of an inch higher than the left side. This is a squashed n' dead strut
bearing isn't it? You say some of symptoms are a direct indicator... No
doubt this is responsible for the the clunking on speed bumps. How about
the vibration and play- have you heard of this going away after replacing
the bearing?

Those are rubber mounts on the steering rack, huh?  I have to suspect
these items since this is a rather powerful vibration and is exclusively
channeled through the column and is utterly absent when I'm moving. There
really *seems* be some abnormal linkage (ie a dried out or missing rubber
mount) between a normally vibrating engine or chassis and the column,.
Maybe a year of this also fried the column bearing as well and the
combination of all of the above is giving me the shakes.

The dead rear mount on my old car caused more generalized vibration and
the engine would jump around if you let the clutch out to abruptly- but
then again it was totally dead.

greg