Re: Length of Alternator Belt.....???

At 19:58 12/5/97 -0800, you wrote:

> A couple of months back my alternator belt broke and I replaced it
>with one that seems a few or couple of inches longer than the original or
>even the one that was called for (when the Auto parts guy looked it up)
>and I'm wondering if that would affect the way my battery is being charged
>'cause my Dash lights are looking pretty dim at night even after changing
>the bulbs and the alternator belt is the only thing I can put my finger
>on at the moment....
>  I recently put a new rebuilt alternator on after getting it tested to make
>sure that it was working correctly.....so that's not the problem.
>
> any ideas on whether the length of the belt would have any bearing on the
>charging system ????
> |      Etop Udoh          | Southern Polytechnic State University [89-##] |
> |     P.O. Box 4234       |  HTTP://WWW.crl.com/~eudoh/e.htm              |
> | Marietta, Ga 30061-4234 | <<< Eudoh@crl.com] >>>  <<< Eudoh@sct.edu >>> |
> | "....D E N Y   E V E R Y T H I N G   -   T R U S T   N O   O N E...."   |
> |=========================================================================|

The LENGTH of the belt should have no bearing on performance - if the
TENSION is correct. A loose belt won't charge properly, and will probably
squeal or otherwise make itself known as a problem. Too tight will charge
OK, but puts a horrible load on the alternator and other accessory bearings,
resulting in shorter life...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)