Re: shortened shifter <AGAINST IT>

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Iain Mannix wrote:

> - always nice to have the main competition be friendly enough to help you
> strap in).

Iain doesn't realize this, but I'm just trying to get it tight enough
to make him pass out on the start line...

> Wenzez has some ridiculous Blue Bird shifter on his Scirocco -
> what is it, a 6" extension?  The shifter is right there, but the throw is a
> bit longer - does not seem to slow him down any.  Sorta like driving a bus.
> I guess it is all personal preference, but I can see where shortening the
> shifter might be as detrimental as it is cool - measure twice, cut once!

Mine is about 6" longer overall, and it bends back towards the driver about
3.5" from the top (at 45 degrees or so).  I *had* to do that, because after
I installed my seat in such a way that my head wasn't grazing the ceiling
(that's with a fiberglass racing seat almost on the floor - I'm not small),
I almost couldn't reach 5th gear.  It balances out fairly well - I've got
a short-shift kit on it, so that kind of offsets the truck-like throw that
I get from the extension.  I agree with Mr. Krucke, though - the closer the
shifter is to your hands the better (a long throw shouldn't hurt much anyway
if you're good at it...).

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/