Re: shortened shifter <AGAINST IT>

Paul wrote....

>Well, I am going to chime in here with a differing opinion.  I think
>the mod may me nice for "Streetability".  But, from a true racing
>perspective, I think it may work against you.  Here is my logic.  If I
>am racing down into a corner or launching into the cones (With both
>hands on the steering wheel)-- when it comes time to shift I want my
>hand to come in contact with the shifter SOONER than later.  By
>cutting it my arm has to traver further ( more time ) to shift.  In a
>well designed race car your hand should be able to fall away from the
>steering wheel with no other arm movement to grab the shifter.  I
>think this is why the Scirocco shift has that extra height/curve.  Now
>I am all for shortning the throw, and that can be accomplished with
>the various short shift kits and weights on the market.
>
>My 2 cents

I agree.  Shortening the shifter can be nice - I had a wooden knob on my
car for a while(until I practically threw it through the back window
shifting into second at an event) which was about an inch taller than the
stock golfball knob.  I like the slightly shortened throw of the lower
shiftknob, and the difference is not huge in time for my hand to get there,
but chopping more off the shifter could IMHO make you *reach* for it,
depending on the seating position - as it sits, I don't have to reach, but
I have driven cars where I did have to reach - and this would be upsetting
to me, I'd not like to have to reach(nor could I after Wenzel straps me in
- always nice to have the main competition be friendly enough to help you
strap in).  Wenzez has some ridiculous Blue Bird shifter on his Scirocco -
what is it, a 6" extension?  The shifter is right there, but the throw is a
bit longer - does not seem to slow him down any.  Sorta like driving a bus.
I guess it is all personal preference, but I can see where shortening the
shifter might be as detrimental as it is cool - measure twice, cut once!

I.Mannix