Re: shortened shifter <whatever>

I guess it's time for me to add my opinion to the list...  my 16v had a
cut-off shifter when I bought it, and I HATED it.  I looked long and
hard for a stock one.  My reasoning:  First off, I had to reach for the
shifter instead of it being comfortably placed.  Also, I have an
equalizer mounted directly below the radio, and the knob would hit in
reverse, 1st, 3rd.  I'll admit my linkage bushings were a little
sloppy...  Third reason was I just plain didn't like the way it felt.
To me, it made the notchy feeling even more apparent.

BTW, if anyone wants a cut shifter and doesn't have the tools to do it,
I'll sell my old one for $10 (I paid $35 for a stock one).

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'83 GTi  <--- new
'82 diesel pickup
parts cars - '80 Rabbit diesel, '86 GTi, '87 16v Scirocco, '88 16v GTi
website - http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm