Re: knock sensors and a new engine

> Hey all.
>
> Well I finally got a new engine for my car.  I don't know the code
> yet 'cause I need to clean it up.  I do know that it is a 10:1 engine
>
> My question is:    I know from asking around, the list etc that I
> need to have a knock sensor on this engine.  BUT a few people have
> told me that if I use an older distributor and retard the timing , I
> can use suprene or preium gas ( 92 is highest octane here ) and the
> engine won't ping!.  Anyone ever hear of this???
>
> Thanks for any comments
> Dave
> --

Well you "could" use a short curve distributor but I went that route
for a while & it was a pain in the arse. If it's real hot out it WILL
ping no matter where you have the timing set esp under a load (up a
hill)

You should use the KS system if you can get one,  The engine will
last longer (at least the pistons) & you can use the engine to it's
fullest.  My car run's 11.2-1 CR & I still have the timing set to
10deg advanced with little or no retarding of the KS.

All in All go with the KS it's a much better way to go.

Potterman's 0.02

Michael Potter
VIRTUAL WORLD PARTS
http://www.parts4vws.com