knock sensors and a new engine

Hey all.

Well I finally got a new engine for my car.  I don't know the code
yet 'cause I need to clean it up.  I do know that it is a 10:1 engine

My question is:    I know from asking around, the list etc that I
need to have a knock sensor on this engine.  BUT a few people have
told me that if I use an older distributor and retard the timing , I
can use suprene or preium gas ( 92 is highest octane here ) and the
engine won't ping!.  Anyone ever hear of this???

Thanks for any comments
Dave