Re: Relays, Pissers, and Lights...

At 01:21 12/1/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Hey guys...
>#3  In preparing for Pittsburgh's long, nasty winter and horrible road
>conditions, I realized that my windshield washer jets are sucky.  The
>passenger one squirts a thin stream right into the sunroof, and the driver
>one spurts barely over the wiper.  Any solutions?  Any way I can get it to
>somehow squirt more than one square inch?  I was in a friend's M3 last week
>and they actually sprayed the *whole* windshield.  What a novel idea!!!

You can aim the squirters with a straight pin. Stick the pin into the
nozzle, and twist until it's aimed where you want it. This can also clear
the goop that's making the weak stream.

On mine, I had to flush the whole system out - it had about half an inch of
dirt in the reservoir, and what looked like algae in the hoses. It worked
fine after cleaning.

I think you are seeing a 'fluidic' nozzle on the M3. This uses the water
pressure to make an oscillating fan of water instead of a stream. If the
nozzle mounts similarly to the Scirocco one, you could install one. Nothing
special about the hookup.

Some American cars (GM) use the same technology, but I would be wary of
cross-species transplants...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)