Re: deathtraps

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996 22:53:02 -0700 Jason Brunberg <stoopid@idirect.com>
writes:

>	I remember hearing about some loony that somehow managed to
>acquire a
>jet engine and bolt it onto his car.  He chose what he thought to be a
>sufficiently long stretch of highway down Death Valley way, and
>proceeded to go real fast for a real short time.  As the story goes,
>he....................................

It never happened. Its just another one of those Urban Legends.
Interesting story tho but its not even close to being true.
The story (short version) goes that he got a JATO rocket and mounted it
to his Chevy, lit it and went over 300mph got airborne and impacted the
face of a cliff leaving a crater ect, bla-bla-bla.

Just to share my little accident story with an 82 Rabbit I had, I was run
off the road by kids in a Toyota pickup 4X4. I spun twice and impacted a
tree with the passenger door, just at the handles. I had a passenger
(260lbs) who left a perfect face print on the glass and only got a mild
concussion. I hit my head on my C-pillar and got a mild concussion as
well. The car was totaled (bent the chassis) even tho it didn't look too
bad. We survived what could have been pretty nasty. if the suspension
were stiffer, we would have rolled when we hit the curb. Instead the
front kinda bent under and I don't think the rear got any damage.
When I saw the truck making a U-turn I thought they were comming back to
finish us off or something so I fired it up and drove it away. It handles
like crap but I drove it to a pay phone and called the police. (this was
in the days before cell phones kids!)

Another note id like to share is that when I lived in Germany, I owned a
BMW 320i. (Modified of course..) Anyways, I was getting ready to come
back to the states and planned on bringing the car with me (145 on the
autobahn, perfect for freeway driving in CA, right!) when I returned to
the states. One night, I was at a bar celebrating something or another
when I heard a solid crunch.

The bar emptied outside and I saw a mangles piece of crap which used to
be my car.
Evidently there was a 16 yr old kid, drunk and apparently committed
suicide.

The road was a "T" and my car was parked at the bottom of the "T" where
you had to turn left or right. The kid didn't brake or even swerve,
witnesses said he drove straight into my car which pushed my car into the
wall of the bar.

When the tow truck driver separated the 2 cars, my BMW (Euro spec mind
you) was a complete total loss. The only thing that was good on the car
was the right rear wheel (Tire was flat) it was straight but had a few
dings. The rest of the car was crunched and mangles so bad you could see
the origional green paint everywhere under the fresh coat of dark
charcoal gray. (sniff) The accident report said the car was driving at
about 40mph when it hit. The driver was killed instantly. So was my car.

US spec cars are really quite safe. It all depends on what and how you
hit is what will determine the injuries you receive. If I may, look at
NASCAR accidents. You see accidents where there should be something
really bad going on inside the car but most everytime, the driver walks
away. Then look back a few years ago when Ernie Ervin gets loose and
bumps the wall. Puts him in a coma and nearly dies. It just depends.....

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and