Re: Safety first/junkyard nightmares....

At 8:28 AM +0004 8/30/97, Ken Buck wrote:
>Ever notice when you are walking through a junk (uh, I mean salvage)
>yard, how no matter how mangled a car is, how the drivers area is
>intact?  This is something I look at when I see a wreck.  The worst
>one I've seen was a Corrado, At least that is what they said it was.
>The front bumper and drivetrain were actually under the floor boards,
>and the rear bumper was pushed into the back wheels.  I would guess
>the car was sandwiched between two 18 wheelers.  When I looked
>inside, the drivers and passengers areas were not crushed, only the
>passengers seat was angled 15 degrees toward the center of the car.

Hmmm, remeinds me of a car I saw at a junkyard.  They'd just slid it off
the flatbed (would'nt roll), we were leaving.  From the look of the bumper,
the 4 door sedan hit a tree - bark and splinters hanging out of it.  The
car hit the tree with the front left (driver's) corner, and bent the whole
front of the car up and back, as if the car were a rectangular magnet and
you were peeling the magnet off by a corner.  The front left wheel was bent
in (positive camber), back and down, and pushed so firmly into the
fenderwell that it became one - the front of the car was a solid mass.
Whoever was driving it got squashed - the right rear doorwindow/right side
of the rear window/roof was covered with fleshy chunks, hair and blood.
Piece of skull on the floor.  The car folded in a manner like the magnet,
right?  It was as if the person got squeezed from the feet up, and
eventually "popped" at the head.  The steering wheel (with airbag) was
sticking out the sunroof. The car?  4 door turbo sedan, complements of
Sweden.  You know, the one everyone thinks is so safe?  Heh.  From the
looks of this accident, the car anyhow, no matter what the person was
driving, the result would have been the same.  I took pictures of it, it
was a grey day, hard to really get the idea, but somewhere around here
there's a shot of the back windows, which, of course are reddish brown and
you can't see through them.  You can see the steering wheel out the
sunroof, too.  If I find one of them, maybe I'll post it.

Mannix