Re: Safety first?

> >I like about VW's...in the end it still looks and is as safe as it was
> >origionally built by VW.

> Since safety has been mentioned, just how safe are our A1 cars?  I'd
> venture that the lightness which makes them nimble makes them come out
> second best in a pileup.  My S1 doesn't have side impact beams and the
> doors are pretty flimsy--I have no illusion that they are going to stop a
> careening Ford Explorer when it T-bones me.  Were the Scirocco's ever crash
> tested, in the U.S. or elsewhere?		benton----

Lets compare the gauge metal and structue/frame designed and used by
VW..it is up to par with Volvo, Mercedes, BMW. Our cars are not
made out of recycled aluminum like hondas, acuras, isuzu etc are.
Compare apples to apples..not Scirocco's to Explorers. It has been
proven in the tests and personal experiences..when t-boned by
1> explorer 2> crown victoria 3> pick your car....your much safer
in a Scirocco than a festiva, acura etc.

hell just last week my 80yr old friend backed up her Saturn at 2mph
out of the driveway and sideswiped the side of a new honda accord..
.she didn't even know she hit the car but it totaled the drivers side..
it just crumpled like a soda can...not a scratch to her saturn's bumper.
I know if she had backed up into my scirocco it she would have know
she hit something solid.

VW's are VERY safe cars to drive..I know soo many people that have
totaled their Corrado..by being t-boned by a large car at 40+ mph and
walked out unscratched. I myself have slammed into a truck in a Jetta
GL ..totaled the front end I was safe as ever w/o an airbag...also
took out a 6" tree with that jetta at at uncontrolled 40mph...all
I dented was the lower air dam. VW's are built like a rock, they
provide a high level of safety w/o having to shell out the money
for a volvo (plus v's dont look as cool)

The rollcage remark was in defense to the inevitable.."but they added a
rollcage to that 900hp festiva so it's safe" remark that I knew was
comming =]

Ryan