rough idling

my car is idling way too rough..... it goes uop and down a few
times......  esp during cold starts and then if i do not pump gas(lots of
it) it will just die......  it idles like a bad cough with a rough
rythmic thumping......  also the belts sound really rough...... it is
like a loud raspy kinda turning sound.....  is it any serious????

when i got back from the mech today and was checking my plugs.....  i
noticed a huge rip on one of my boots, not the CV'c but the one's
connected to the transmission on the passanger side.  might it be the
fault of the mech........  it was fine when i check them this morn.....
when the mech does the clutch job, do they have to take out that joint ????

alfred
85 scirocco 8V