Re: 16v engine swap, was Hello List

On Tue, 01 Jul 1997 10:25:11 -0500 Maurice Slot <maurice@seisbase.com>
writes:
>Ken Buck wrote:
>Do you pull the whole thing, from the ECU to the fuse box?
>or just the ECU related harness, up to the firewall?
>I guess I'm worried the connectors & such fitting through
>the hole in the firewall.

You just need the ECU related harness, which includes two harnesses. The
fuel injection brain harness and the knock sensor control (ignition)
brain harness. It is no real big deal.

>The two cars are different colors (16v=black, 8v=white), so swapping
>fenders & such is out. Also, I don't really want to spend the money
>to fix both up, as I had originally intended. Besides, the spare
>parts will be useful (alternator, starter, etc.)

A lot of the parts will be spares, but not the alternator, 16V's use a
different alternator than 8V's, it won't mount up.

>I kind of like the idea of a 16v in 8v clothing...
>
>Thanks to all for the replies and advice so far!
>
>Maurice Slot
>('85,86 S, '90 C)

I totally agree with you man! Go for it. I have done a few transplants
now, it is not that bad, especially as lucky as you are to have two
complete cars at your disposal.  I love my 16V rocco and I give it hell
and it still gets about 30mpg. With a 2.0l 16V you should be able to blow
away any 8V that is not radically modified.

Good Luck!

shikaroka@juno.com
82 Scirocco 16V (highly modified)
87 GTI G60