Hello List

I am new to this list and thought I'd introduce myself.

I have a DSP 79 Scirocco with to many mods to list here, but it has a
majorly worked 1.8L with a GTI tranny, lowered 1.5" and 13 x 9"
autocross wheels.

I also have an 86 Scirocco that I race on the local 1/4 mile dirt
oval.  Thuis is called Thunder Cars, FWD and RWD four cylinders.
This is a trip and you all should do it if you get the chance.

I have read the last two days and would like to put in my $.02.  I
have pulled motor/tranny combos from the top and from the bottom,
both obviously work.  If you have a lift, then drop the drivetrain
out the bottom, if you have an engine hoist, remove the hood and
pluck it out the top.  Both work easily depending on the tools you
have available.

If you notice most of those Big Wheeled cars are from CA, where
potholes only come from earthquakes and bombs.  Putting a set of
those monster aftermarket wheels on a car here in PA would last about
20 miles before they would be bent like a pretzel.

I cancelled my EC about a year ago for the same reason as everyone
here, I don't want history or Volvos, I want good technical VW stuff.
 So now I sit and read my Bentley.

The 16V engine swap is a 2-3 day project, but should be simple since
you have two running cars to work with.  The major headache will be
the wiring, and you have gotten the right advice.  Pull the 8V and
all the wiring (this is the best time to degrease and repaint the
engine compartment), then transfer the wiring harness from the16V to
the 8V.  BTW, why are you doing this?  Personally I prefer the 8V,
more low end torque, better gas milage, cheaper to maintain, cheaper
to modify,  more durable, etc.  The 16V may look cool, but my 8V eats
Mustang 5.0s and Corvettes on the autox course with my eyes closed.

This east coast meet sounds cool, but Sept. and Oct. are booked with
autocrosses here in Philadelphia.  Maybe you guys want to meet at an
autocross and thrash on your cars, or maybe I'll catch a meet in the
spring.
Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chairman
DSP 79 VW Scirocco
86 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
phillyscca@enter.net