Re: spark plug wires

In a message dated 97-08-19 08:15:01 EDT, joshua14@juno.com writes:

<< I was considering getting new spark plug wires for my 88 16v and I wanted
 to know what some of you guys recommend.  >>

On my 8V, I have a blue silicone do-it-yourself kit from the old APS company.
 It was a kit they sold with bulk wire, boots, terminals and you crimped and
soldered your own lengths.  The wires were silver plated stranded copper
wire.  In my opinion, a metallic conductor is better for conducting
electricity than any of these carbon/graphite/nylon core wires that are out
there.  The copper wire core won't burn from normal engine temperatures or
degrade from normal vibrations.  I've had these for 15 years and have never
had to touch them.  The silicone jacket is the way to go.  I use a general
purpose cleaner once in a while and just wipe down the wires and they look
good as new.  The stock wires had resistors built into the sparkplug ends of
the wires, these do not. Just pure copper to the sparkplug connector.  They
did this for static suppression.  When I plugged the new wires into the stock
plugs you could hear each plug firing when you had the radio on.  To solve
this, I installed the same plugs except using resistor types.  They can be
distiguished by an additional "R" in the plug number. i.e., N8-Y => RN8-Y.

I haven't looked lately of what is out there in terms of good wires.  If in
doubt, stick with stock wires.  They are designed for the ignition system.
 They fit.  Your know exactly what you are getting.

My ($0.02)opinion of these "new" wires out there that claim to increase your
spark, it's a bunch of marketing hype.  There is no way to get more POWER out
of a passive device such as a wire without some additional outside energy
source, which in turn is more power that you are adding to the system.  There
is no such thing as a free lunch!

Good Luck.

-dick-
'78 scirocco.