Re: Rear Fog Lights

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:41:21 -0700 "K.E.Baddour" <6keb1@qlink.queensu.ca>
writes:
>Any of you folks who have Euro'ed your Roccos install
>the rear fogs. How did you do it?
>
>Aren't the MkII's equipped for having rear fog lights
>from the factory? There's a spot for a spare bulb in
>the rear light carriers and a plastic bit which
>can be drilled out to let the bulb fit, right?
>
>But is it wired to the front of the car, where it
>is just a matter of installing a switch? or is
>the rear fog install much more involved? Is this
>in a faq somewhere?
>
>I know the protocol involved in driving with these
>super bright things on...but I have driven in situations
>where they are required (deep deep foggy highway in
>early morning in Newfoundland a few months ago where
>I couldn't see the taillight of the car 10m ahead of me).
>
>Thanks!
>
>----
>K. Baddour
>'88 Scirocco 16v
>6keb1@qlink.queensu.ca

Yeh, I drilled my lens housings out to fit the rear fog lights.  The bulb
socket is already there and wired directly in with the running (parking)
lights, so if you factory light switch is on, then those rear fog light
sockets are on. I used the small (lowest wattage) bulb I could find and I
have the 16v smoked and striped lenses and it is still a little bright,
but it don't shine straight like the running or brake lights, the fog
light lens refracts the light in diagonal directions, but if you are
setting about five feet or so back it does kind of blind you. But it
still looks cool.

But then I gave up on mine, I went through 4 bulbs(two each side) in a
about a week and a half.  When it blew the second set I didn't put new
bulbs in, yet. I am not sure why, if you have heard anything about this,
let me know.

Shikaroka
tdjarrett@juno.com
82 Scirocco 16v (highly modified)