Re: Zender Body Kits

>has anyone had any experience installing a Zender Z400 bodykit?
>
>does anyone have any pictures perhaps of one on a Scirocco?
>
>planning to buy one, and i'm just curious to know.

My friend has this kit on his '83 and while I won't try to convince you
that it looks butt ugly <j/k> there are a couple things you might find
interesting about it.  First, it is heavy.  Yeah, you probably knew that,
but my friend and I figure it's about 20hp heavier, as compared to my
basically stock 16v motor.  He's got a 2.0 bottom end, Schrick 276, mildly
worked 8v head, no cat and Eurosport exhaust, and we're basically the same
in terms of acceleration.  This surprised both of us.  Another thing about
the kit is repairs to it are a nightmare.  He hit a raccoon the spring
which destroyed his front air dam, and ended up costing several hundred
dollars worth of labor to repair.  The shop that installed the kit
originally fiberglassed over a bunch of smaller seams and holes to make it
look real smooth.  It looks smooth, but chassis flex has cracked the
fiberglass around the front bumper and driver's door.

On the positive side, it is IMO more aerodynamic than the stock 16v bodykit
I have.  I can pass his car eventually on the flat, but he pulled away from
me down a long hill one day...mind you his car is about 1/4" lower than
mine.

hope this helps in some way...