Wheel fitment.

Hi all,

Has any one had any experience with 16X7 rims on a Mk1?  Got a free set of
used Rota Wave's.  I currently have 15X6.5 MSW Type 5's and I get some rear
wheel rub on medium to large dips.  The car is lowered of course.  I know
there is no exact size to dupilcate the O.E. diameter.  The closes calculated
size I come up with is a 205-40x16 or a 205-45x16.  The first is slightly
smaller in O.D. and the second is slightly larger in O.D. than stock.
 Someone else says go for a 215-45x16 because it will look better than a 40
series(~1" larger O.D.).  Any opinions? Any experiences?

Thanks.

-dick-
78 Scirocco.
Original Owner.