Re: Clutch repair

     I found it to be quite simple thanks to 'Poor Richards How to Keep
     your VW Rabbit Alive' book in the John Muir style 'For the Complete
     Idiot' book.  In it it describes making a special engine support from
     above so you can support the engine and lower the trans by cranking
     down a hook/bolt.  Then I made a flywheel brace like the VW tool shown
     in the Bently books out of a flat piece of (non)angle iron.  Now I can
     do a clutch on a MkI car 'in about an hour' (like lenscrafters :)).

     I have also been told, and can attest the transmission -fluid is not
     that heavy, and one person I know puts a jack under the engine/oil
     pan, unbolts the tranny, lowers the jack some to let it swing down to
     clear the firewall...he lays on his back under the tranny like a bench
     press and more or less wiggles it and lets it fall on his chest.  Well
     not quite fall....

     -Paul
     --Current
     87 Scirocco 16v