Re: New bushings/anti-rattle clips...

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997 18:56:51 -0400 Kris Tewkesbury
<tewkes@engin.umich.edu> writes:
>Yesterday I put new linkage bushings on the rocco.  What a difference
>it made in my ability to shift.  It kept binding up before, now I have
no
>problems shifting, but when in a gear there is a lot of slop from
>front to back.  I mean when it's in 1st gear I can still move it 3-4"
back and
>forth.  Why is this??

Sounds like you still have a bad bushing left unreplaced or there is
something loose in the linkage system.
Have somebody move the shifter while your under the car looking at the
linkage. look closely at  the linkage and find where the linkage moves
and the section where its not moving. The while system should move as one
but trust me, its not if you got 3/4" play!
There are a few brackets bolted to the chassis and tranny that could be
loose. (13mm on the bracket near the downpipe and 10mm nuts on the tranny
pivot bolt. CAREFULL!! Not too tight on the tranny pivot bolt or it WILL
break.)
Also the linkage itself can be worn out, especially the linkage pieces
that goto the tranny itself. The little ball joints are of all things,
plastic. They get sorta molded and out of round from the pounding of day
to day driving. I had 2 of these that were new (within 2 years old) and
they were the reason for the slop in the shifter. Check it out!!

>Also replaced my anti-rattle clips on my front disc brakes.  Since I
>had no instructions and I'm still awaiting my damn Bentley, I only could

>guess how they went on.  I musta guessed right b/c the road noise
vanished and I
>am happier now that my wheels don't sound like they're gonna fall off on

>bumpy roads (read all roads here in Detroit).

Hey, it sounds like you did it right since they're still on there and all
is quiet! :)
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi