Re: tranny questions

Josh Clark wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 1997 20:15:59 -0400 (EDT) Hulda Jowett <hjowett@nasc.mass.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > > i foun out the trans flanges are 100mm and the rabbit cv joints are
> > > 90mm. So I decided to replace the 100mm flanges with the old 4gear
> > > tramsmission 90mm flanges.  Another problem. They don't use the spring;
> > > there are not identical.  somebody told me that some economy jettes and
> > > golf model use the 90mm flanges in modern 5 gear tranny.  Does any have
> > > any other suggestions.
> >
> > The easiest (and most reliable) thing would be to swap the axles from a
> > 16V Scirocco into the Rabbit.
>
> Make sure it's an 88 Scirocco as the 87s all came with the 90mm flanges.  You
> DEFINATELY need to get the bigger CVs.  I would NOT go with smaller on a high
> horse-power engine.  You'll snap then like toothpicks!  I have a friend who just put a
> 2.0L 16v in a Rabbit with the stock Rabbit trans and CVs and his CVs are going after a
> month of running!!

Uummmm.. last time I checked (month ago when I replaced a outer CV
boot),
the CVs on my 87 16v were 100mm, and they are stock.  Hey maybe you
mean the inner CVs are 90mm, are they?? cause I know the outer ones
are 100mm.

Later
Etrik
http://activated.virtualscope.com/etrik/  <<-- The Scirocco 16v site