Re: tranny questions

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 02:21:56 -0400 Josh Clark <joshc@garden.net> writes:

>Make sure it's an 88 Scirocco as the 87s all came with the 90mm
>flanges.  You DEFINATELY need to get the bigger CVs.  I would NOT go
with smaller on
>a high horse-power engine.  You'll snap then like toothpicks!  I have a
>friend who just put a 2.0L 16v in a Rabbit with the stock Rabbit trans
and CVs and his CVs
>are going after a month of running!!

Well, that could be that the CV's were old anyways and the added power
just finished what age started.
I just consulted my Greg Raven book to see what he might say about it.
NADA! Hmm, I thought I read something somewhere about the different axle
sizes. I imagine that for the most part, unless he's running a 180hp+
motor that he can use either size CV. I think the main thing right now is
for him to get what's easiest to replace. So changing the CV's and
retaining the tranny flanges sounds like the best route.

>Without a second thought I'd do it.  You just built a SICK car now
>don't you want that power put to the ground reliably?  Good luck!

True. Velocity sells a diff bolt kit. While hes in there, he may want to
check and be sure that it has the clips to avoid any future self
machining. He also may want to install the Velocity Diff kit (Only if he
-CANT- afford the Quaife. pbth!!) Basically, hes looking at a rebuild
anyways if hes gonna have the bolts put in the diff so he may as well
have it completely gone through. Otherwise just put in the right CV's and
roll with it baby, yeah!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi