Re: Clutch repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997 21:35:49 -0500 (EST) Speriod Ducum <htay@indiana.edu>
writes:
>Hi there,
>
>does anyone knows of any manual for clutch replacement???????  it has
>been quite a trial trying to find any instructions to replace my own
>clutch........  would appreaciate any advice or comments??????  also,
>does anyone knows where i could buy the clutch kits, original or
>performance parts, at a reasonably fair price???
>
>thanks
>alfred

Well, the whole trick in replacing the clutch is removing and afterwords,
installing the tranny. That's it. That's also the trouble you will
encounter because theres alot more to it than it would seem. Having never
done it before, you will find it takes a long time to do it so plan on
spending the whole weekend working on it. (for safe measures.)

Like most every first step when working on the car, disconnect the
battery. I hardly ever do this unless im working on the alt or starter.
Eh.
In this case, you will want to fully disconnect the battery. (the - and +
terminals.)

Now you can remove the starter motor. (if you have A/C, unbolt the
support shaft that goes to the starter motor)

Next you will need a special tool (well large socket and either a big
breaker bar or an impact wrench) to break the torque on the axle nuts.
(with the car on the ground.)

Then jack the car up high on jack stands (Safety is everything!) and
remove the wheels. (Just the front.)

Remove the bolt to the ball joint and then remove the ball joint from the
knuckle. This will allow you to pull the axle shaft from the hub.

Remove the 6 bolts (another special tool) from the and remove the axles
from the car. (This is a damn fine time to completely repack the inner
and outer CV's and even replace the boots if necessary. If not, then be
careful to keep the inner CV's clean from dirt and debris.)

Disconnect the shift linkage.
Remove the intake tube plumbing.
Disconnect he clutch cable.
Disconnect the spedo cable (Or you will break it, like I did..)
(Put a jack under the tranny)
remove the engine to tranny bolts.
remove the rear tranny mount nuts.
Remove the side tranny mount bolt.
Next lower the tranny down a bit and separate the tranny from the engine.
rotate it to where the starter motor flange is pointing straight up and
then let it down and out from under the car.

Set the tranny aside. (Now is a great opportunity to replace both the
drive seals.If one of them leaks, your gonna ruin the new clutch! Not to
mention having to do the clutch job again.)
-->read been there, done that<--

Then its a matter of removing the bolts from the flywheel.
Then pull out the clutch disc and the retaining ring.
Then remove the bolts on the pressure plate.

Be sure to either have a new flywheel (or used)ready to go in, or real
quick like take yours to a machine shop and have it resurfaced! (This is
a must!!) This took me longer to do than the whole clutch job itself so
you might want to call around beforehand and find someone who will do it
for cheap (I paid $35 for mine to be done.) and within a few hours of
dropping it off because you cant do anything until its done! (Other than
install the new pressure plate. This is a good time to repack the CV's
and/or tranny seals, as I have said before!)

Then you simply (Yah, right!) install in reverse of removal. Do you need
torque settings for everything??
Let me know.

Anyways, I hope this helped you in some way.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and