Re: Primer sanding

At 18:01 8/5/97 -0700, you wrote:

>   I used 500 when I sanded the primer on my car.  The primer I used wasnt
>water resistant so I dry sanded it.  I think it was the PPG kondar primer
>that I used.  Old technology but easy to shoot.  I would do either 400 or
>600 depending on how smooth the primer went on.  400 if kinda rough, 600
>if it went on really good.  HTH...
>
>   Andre'

Usually, when they say primer isn't water resistant they mean it will not
prevent rust if you drive a primered car around without painting it. I have
never seen any paint (except Rustoleum!) that did not wetsand nicely.

Most primers are somewhat porous. They are not meant to take the place of a
color coat.

It really made a difference in how the final coats went on when I started
using 600 before clearcoating. The paint almost was ready to go without
buffing. I know DuPont recommends 400 before lacquer and enamel topcoats,
but 600 works much better. They also recommend baking the paint in an
infrared oven - something i have never tried. Perhaps the paint flows out
eough to make up for the coarser scratches if you bake it?

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (new paint!)
'58 Ghia Convert