Re: Scirocco GTI ?????

I'll just add my 2 cents worth on this GTI thing. There were no Scirocco GTI'
sold in the US. The 79 Scirocco that resembled the "S" model was nothing more
tha a limited edition package. No different model designation, just
red-colored badges. It had a 5-speed, points-ignition, K-Jetronic, 1.6L with
8.0-1 compression, 78hp (76in California). No swaybars, and no mechanical
difference from the standard Scirocco at all. The trim was exactly the same
as the 80 "S" model, but the seat fabric was red plad. The stripes were even
the same. The 5-speed was an option on all levels of the car beginning in
late 79, not just the limited edition. The 83 model turbo was also a
limited-production deal, but not a GTI. It was actually added on here in the
States, and did not actually come from the factory. I can't recall all of the
details, but I have the road test for that around here somewhere, too.
It was popular to add the Scirocco GTI badging back in the 80's, much like it
is to add the euro side markers today. (I wonder if we'll be debating them as
o.e. items in 15 years?)
Although many of the 83-on cars shared power ratings equal to the GTI's sold
here in the States, none of them were ever baded as GTI's.

Todd Cameron