Re: AC Compressor

Speaking of compressors, has anyone replaced the clutch on their A/C
compressor?  Years ago I had done this on a few (mostly GM A6)
compressors.  I'm wondering if a clutch is available for our cars.
The old Bentley only only addresses replacing the whole unit.  I
figure that if I can replace the clutch I won't have to discharge the
system and worry about the freon conversion.  It could use a little
topping off but I have a charging hose (if I can find it, haven't
used it in years).

I got an email spam fron someone claiming to have the EPA test on the
web for $19.95.  If I get EPA certified, I can buy R-12 at the parts
house.  Since I used to work on A/C regularly years ago it shouldn't
be a big deal to pass.

Anyone else get this spam?  It may be the first worthwhile
spam I ever got if it's on the up and up.  It sure would be the
cheapest way to get the A/C going, if I can find a clutch.  If I have
to replace the compressor I'll have to replace the dryer and might as
well convert it over to R-134 (?).

If anyone has any thoughts on any of this I'd appreciate your input.
It sucks having a black car when it's so sunny out with no A/C.
Rick
hugacub@whidbey.net
Richard.Lackner@entex.com
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg