Howzit feel?

Is there much difference in steering feel between the non- and power
assisted VW  steering?  I'm pretty insensitive and haven't driven many
cars, but how good is the steering feel of Scirocco's compared to other
cars?  I distinctly remember when I got my '81 S in '87 that it felt much
sharper than my previous car, a '74 Mustang II with horribly overboosted
and numb steering but I'm guessing that cars have come a long way in the
past quarter century.  Thx, benton-------