Re: Scirocco GTI ?????

> On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, SHAWN C MEZE wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty sure there were no Scirocco GTi's brought to the US. (Well, I'm
> > sure there were a few that made it over via returning servicemen ect, but
> > they werent sold in any numbers.)
> >
> > OK, then does that Scirocco GTi have a badge on the rear that says
> > "Scirocco GTi"? Is that how he knows it is one? if so, take a peek on the
> > back of mine. $14.00 from Velocity and im a real Scirocco GTi too! :)
> >
> > Shawn Meze
>
> Yes it has the badge, but the vin's are what matters...and yes, there were
> actual American Scirocco GTi's....only 1979 models though....not many of
> them either...
>

> Eric

Yes Eric your right, There were very few real " Scirocco GTI's" They
basiclly are an "S" model but with a 100mph speedo, points ignition,
& non OXS fuel injection. Another rare fact is they were one of the
first A1's with a 5sp trans.
VW designated a sales code of S700 for 79 GTI's & 80 S's because the
basic theme of the two cars is the same except for the emblem. If
anybody thinks they see one here's the VIN range to check for sure.
5392043145 --------- 5392200000.  Wow that's 156,855 cars that VW
produced & in that time maybe only every 100th car was a true "GTI".
Plus they probably did'nt ship them all to America.  I have only seen
2 real one's in the past 12 or so years & both times I did'nt have
the cash or the space to put it or I would be a owner of a rare 1979
Scirocco GTI.

Potterman
80 Scirocco "S"

Michael Potter