Re: 82 Rocco Oil Temp Guage......

At 9:30 PM -0600 08/03/1997, Etop Udoh wrote:
>  Since I'm having problems with the car using or requiring the use of
> 7 - 8 quarts of oil a month,

Never have to change your oil, I guess.  Something is very wrong, if it is
using 7-8 quarts.  Valve seals?  Rings?  One would think that you'd see
smoke if either were the case, but if it is not leaking, and you are using
this much oil, the oil has to be going somewhere - a little blowby is
normal, my car uses about a quart per change, maybe less, each change
typically has 2-3 autocrosses/time trials on it.  Over the weekend, I did a
time trial and an autocross - the time trial totals about 16 miles of at
speed driving, plus another 20ish in parade laps, which turn out to be 70%
laps (shhhh Wenzel, I was going 50, I swear), then 4 more SoloII laps on
Sunday.  Between that, and a trial two weeks before, my car used 1/4 quart
of oil.  Ahh, there was another autocross on this oil change.  So, 7-8
quarts is reason for concern, IMHO.  Something is worn.  Bearings?  Loose
bearings can affect oil temperature, or so I am told.  Rings?  Get a
leakdown test done on your car, find out where the oil might be getting by.
Before I did a new head on my GTI, it used a little more oil - the valve
seals were leaking, but I did not normally see smoke - occasionally, on hot
start, it would puff some smoke, but for the most part, it was not looking
as if oil was being burned, but it was.  7 quarts is a LOT, uhh, sorry?

 I was wondering if the accuracy of my oil
> temp guage could be affected ????
>   Average temp on the guage during highway driving is around 120 or a little
> more if I keep it around 70...

At the Solo Trials on Saturday, my oil temp did not get above 125. I have a
small oil cooler and am currently using Valvoline Synthetic (no leaks,
surprised me).  The Valvoline gave me MUCH cooler temps.  My oil temp used
to be at 150 by the end of 4 Trials laps - 2.7 miles each, at or near
redline the whole time, top speeds of close to 90.  A good lap is in the
140 second range, so 2 minutes, 20 seconds - about ten minutes of
*driving*.  With the oil cooler, that is.  I switched to the synthetic, not
gotten it above 125, same deal.  Kevin is using Castrol 20/50, AFAIK, he is
still in the 150 range after 4 laps.  On the highway, pre cooler, Castrol
10/30, my oil temps would be at 100-110 at 75-80.  All day.  120+ if I were
driving fast in the mountains.  Hot.  With the synthetic, my temps are less
than 90 on the highway.  It does not sound to me like the gauge is off -
with all that oil consumption, you are likely not running on full oil level
all the time, which will make temps go up - less oil taking the same heat,
the oil gets hot, the engine gets hotter, the oil gets hotter, etc.

>  Any more than that, the need will head closer to the "RED" zone.
> Kinda sucks that I have to keep my eye mainly on that guage whenever I'm
> driving anywhere, and God forbid that I should approach 75 or 80 mph....
>  I'm very tempted to just rip the thing out !!!!!!

I would'nt do that.  I'd guess the gauge is not lying, and losing that much
oil would worry me - if it is not leaking out, something is really wrong,
really really wrong.  Hate to say it, but I have never heard of a simple
fix for 8 quarts a month.  At 100 miles a day, you're driving 3000 miles a
month, 2 quarts a week.  3000 miles a month is 750 miles a week, 2 quarts
per week equals 1 quart per 375 miles, umm, YIKES.  Get a leakdown test,
barring leaks, I'd guess your rings are dead and it is just burning up.  I
guess some could be leaking through the valve cover into the air cleaner,
but at that rate(7-8q), it'd be smoking a lot and leaking down the intake
tube onto the ground.  Hmmm.  Anyone else see this in a better light?;)

Mannix