tach offset

I was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with tach where over the
course of a couple weeks it has a bigger and bigger offset.  By offset I
mean I now turn on the ignition (not starting the car) and the tach goes
past red line.  The tach was working great and then over the course of a
couple weeks started to creep up the dial.  Durring the creep up the
dial the tach still worked, it was just based off of higher and higher
rpms.  All the other gauges seem to work correctly.  I don't have a
repair manual yet so I can't look at the wiring diagrams.  Any help
would be great.

Thanks,
dave