Re: general questions

Brett VanSprewenburg wrote:

> Since I haven't seen anyone answer this one yet, I thought that I'd take
> a stab at it...
>
> > Hey all, I've got a few basic questions about Sciroccos, 16v's in
> > particular.  I just got this car ('87 16v) a few weeks ago, and the
> > previous owner made several modifications.  I would like to know what he
> > did and what is stock.  First off, do the 16v's come stock with front
> > lower stress bars?
>
> I assume you mean swaybar (connecting the lower a-arms together)
> so yes they do.

He's probably talking about the lower stressbar (subframe some people
call it) which attaches to the Control Arms in the front and rear.  This
is stock on the 16v model.

> > And how big is the stock front swaybar?
>
> I believe it is 16.5mm, but someone else will be sure to correct me if
> I'm wrong.  Well, the biggest it could be would be like 18mm anyway...

16.5mm on the dot dude!

> > The other
> > thing I'm currently wondering about is the lower control arms in the
> > rear have large hoops with rubber linings on the inside...  maybe a
> > mount for an aftermarket swarbar?
>
> If these mounts are located in the rear of the car at the bottom of
> the shock/coil unit, then yes, they are a pickup point for an after-
> market swaybar.  The stock bar is mounted to the trailing axle with
> a strap-like mechanism.
>
> > The holes are huge, maybe 1 1/4
> > inches.
>
> Let's see, a swift burst of mental arithmetic says that could be the
> end mounts for a 28mm bar...

Sounds like the owner took the stock one off and left the mountings or
just left the mountings for an aftermarket swaybar.  Are the bushings
inside the hoops polyurethane?  Poly, is usually red and VERY hard.  Not
squishy like the stock rubber bushings.

> > These hoops stick in towards the center of the car.
> > Thanks in advance for your time!
>
> Laytron!
>
> ==Brett

LayTRON???  =)