Help: Bumper repairs

Hi everyone, I had a small accident recently, rearended someone on an oil
spill. My bumper is basically pushed in from one side. As far as I can see
the bumper itself is OK but the stabilizer beam (the beam that attaches to
the frame) is bent out of shape and the side assembly that attaches the
bumper to the body is broken. Local body shop suggested $500.  I've no
idea where that number comes from but it's way beyond my reach at this
point. I will greatly appreciate any advice on repairs or source for
parts if those a necessary. Please E-mail if possible. Thanx a mill.

Yours, Leo

lqp7160@is.nyu.edu