Oil q:

Hi everyone. I bought my 87' 16v two months ago and it recently was time
to change oil on it (I decided to do that every 3G miles). The car ran on
synthetic before I bought it. But when I went to the VW dealer here in
Bayside, NY (NYC)  they did not recommend synthetic but gastrol GTX 15W 40
for my climate. I went to a place that I trust but they didn't have that
exact oil. I figured the summer is coming, average temperatures around
here are 95 degrees and I drive the thing very hard, so why not opt for a
greater viscosity. So I put 20W 50 into the thing. Is there anything wrong
with my philosophy? The car starts fine idles a little rough but bareble.
The only thing that worries me is that I noticed some high pitched noise
lately that sounds like valves knocking. Am I causing harm? Please reply
via E-mail if possible, thanx.

Yours, leo

lqp7160@is.nyu.edu