Re: Front Suspension

Without a doubt your front struts are dead.  A1 VWs have very little
suspension travel when lowered.  Factory shocks and low price after market
shocks are not designed for the bottoming (running out of travel) out that
will occour when you lower your VW.

When I first lowered my car 5 years ago I didn't have a lot of $.  I bought
a used set of lowering springs from a friend (neuspeed) and bought (I
almost can't believe I did this now!) for Monroe Gassmatics!  They lasted
three days on the front before they blew up!  Worse, when they died the oil
seals went and all the oil pumped out of them.  Even worse the gas in the
shock somehow all got trapped in the upper chamber.  This pressure in the
upper chamber caused the rod of the shock to try & retracr all the time.
I took the struts out and the rod was at the bottom of its travel in the
insert.  When I pulled the rod up the gas pressure sent it flying back down
to its former position, all the way at the bottom.  My car really looked
lower with these things on, they were pulling it down!

The next struts I bought were a set of KYB "RIDE ADJUST".  They were an
adjustable shock with 4 different setting.  They lasted 6 months.

When it comes to shocks you get what you pay for.  The list I would use is
short.  KONI, Tokico, Bilstein, and possibley Boge.  Thats it, I don't
think any other brand will hold in a lowered Scirocco.

Alan
87 16V (driver)
84 8V (racer)