16V Antenna....What The......?

Hi All,

I just purchased a replacement 16V antenna from the VW dealer and was
curious about the new look.  This antenna looks like the stock antenna
except it has an extra wire snaking around the shaft and ends just short
of the tip.  From a distance, it also looks just a bit longer than its
predecessor.  The antenna is covered with the standard black insulation
but you can still see the extra wire underneath.  According to the VW
dealer, this is the new style and supposedly has a higher amplification
than my prior one.  I've looked around but haven't seen this 'new style'
on any of the A3s.  Does anyone else out there have one of these
antennas and if so, do you notice any difference/improvement in
reception?  Thanks.

Steph