Re: Getting the rocco on a diet! Help!

At 1:04 AM -0600 04/18/1997, TCame86712@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 97-04-17 16:59:20 EDT, vwfrank@mail.geocities.com
>(Francois St-Amand) writes:
>
><<
> Should I just remove the compressor and the condensor?  I've been
> told that it gives a slightly better performance and better fuel
> economy (since this equipement is over 50 pounds).  Should I?  I
> guess the car is worth a little more since it has A/C, but heck it's
> not working!  I don't really care if I have it or not, I got a
> sunroof! :)
>  >>

>I think you'd be surprised if you actually weighed the system components.
>50lbs would be tough to find in A/C stuff. The only real weight is the
>compressor. The other stuff is fairly light.
>
>Todd

I took the AC out of my GTI, all said and done, it was closer to 80 pounds
than 50.  Square compressors are heavier, so I am told.  Meze weighed a
system at close to 90 (I think).  I took out the compressor, bracketry,
condensor, umm, whatever else I could get my hands on.  Weighed it on a
bathroom scale, not too accurate, because it kept trying to fall off, but
it was pretty damned close to 80 pounds!

Mannix (something of a pain, too, finding the pulleys to get everything to
line up)